Jo Jo Potatoes (1963)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Dec 28 08:40:34 UTC 2003

CORRECTION:  In the "Gentleman, start your engines" post and 1952 cite, the
last time is probably "9:50," not "9:30."  It was difficult to read.

TEXAS TOAST:  Thanks for the 1950s "Denver Drumstick" (Denver, CO)
recollection.  The NYPL and the N-YHS both have large menu collections, but mostly of
the fancy dinners of the late 19th- and early 20th-centuries.  The Los Angeles
Public Library has put some menus online.  Johnson & Wales University also has
a menu collection that I'll check out when I have time.  For chain restaurants
(McDonald's), the company usually keeps records.

OT: NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCE OF THE MONTH, PART THREE:  In Sunday's NEW YORK
POST (www.nypost.com; also in the TIMES), 28 December 2003, pg. 5, is a full-page
story: "Cab jumps curb, kills customer on East 57th."  That's my block.
   In the past month:

1.  There was a Guyana plane crash within 48 hours of my flight, for the same
flight path.
2.  There was a gas explosion at work, at a place I was standing just moments
before.
3.  A cab jumped the curb and killed someone on the sidewalk of my block.

JO JO POTATOES

   Sam Clements posted "Jo Jo Potatoes" on 10 February 2003:

I tried a search but didn't find anything. I was born in Danville, VA. and
raised in Arlington VA.  Lived in NC for 6years.  And then I moved to Akron, OH.
in 1972.  Never heard the term untilI moved to Ohio.They have broasted
chicken and "Jo Jo's" here.  They're potato wedges,lightly breaded(sometimes) and
deep fried.  MUCH larger than "steak fries."Sometimes as big as taking a whole
potato and quartering it lengthwise. Always still in the skin.Why the name "Jo
Jo?"  (or "jojo")

   The Newspaperarchive.com database is especially weak for the Northwest for
this time period (1950s-present).  These are the earliest "Jo-Jos."  Maybe A&
W has records/menus?

   17 June 1963, MONROE COUNTY NEWS (Albion, Iowa), pg. 2, col. 1:
Try
FLAVOR-CRISP CHICKEN
PRESSURE FRIED
Includes chicken, cole slaw, Jo Jo potatoes, and roll
_Carol's A&W_

   1 April 1967, CHRONICLE-TELEGRAM (Elyria, Ohio), pg. 12?, col. 7 (ad):
_Angelina's now offers_
_pressure fried chicken_
(...)
   This chicken, along with Jo-Jo potatoes, which are baking potatoes
quartered and pressure cooked with the (Col. 8--ed.) chicken, makes a ready-to-eat
meal.

    15 April 1968, MONROE COUNTY NEWS (Albion, Iowa), pg. 3?, cols. 6-8:
_Carol's A & W DRIVE-IN_
Jo Jo Potatoes...30c

    25 September 1970, SHEBOYGAN PRESS (Sheboygan, Wisconsin), pg. 3, col. 4:
21-piece BARREL with 12 Jo-Jo potatoes, served 7-10 persons
HERZIGER'S
Restaurant
1213 Superior Ave.