Long Johns (1930); Bismarcks (1917); Bishop's Nose (1900)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Dec 28 22:43:46 UTC 2003

LONG JOHNS

   I looked again for "long john."  DARE has 1945.
   The Newspaperarchive.com database didn't show that other 1952 "Gentleman,
start your engines."  I also re-checked for "strip poker" and didn't find the
citation that I had posted from Ancestry.com using "Strip" (First Name) and
"Poker" (Last Name).  So the search engine, while vastly improved, is not
perfect.

Chronicle Telegram - 2/16/1940
...Choc. Malted Milk Cakes 18e 25c Glazed LONG JOHNS doz. 20c Chop Suey Rolls
doz. 20c..
Elyria, Ohio Friday, February 16, 1940  451 k
   16 February 1940, CHRONICLE-TELEGRAM (Elyria, Ohio), pg. 19?, col. 1:
FRANK'S BAKERY
   SPECIALS FOR SATURDAY
Choc. Malted Milk Cakes...18c-25c
Glazed Long Johns...doz. 20c
Chop Suey Rolls...doz. 20c
Parkerhouse and Cloverleaf Rolls...doz. 15c

Sun Herald - 11/13/1930
...Cakes, Pies, Doughnuts, Bismarcks and LONG JOHNS We invite you to come in
and see.....me thnt hc can p relict just about how LONG a new man will last.
"If hla flrst req..
Lime Springs, Iowa Thursday, November 13, 1930  431 k
   13 November 1930, SUN-HERALD (Lime Springs, Iowa), pg.5?, cols. 5-7:
Shelton's Bakery
At Lime Springs
Bread, Rolls, Cakes, Pies,
Doughnuts, Bismarcks
and Long Johns

BISMARCKS

   DARE has 1930 (for "long-john") and 1950.  I searched "Bismarcks" with
another keyword such as "cakes" and "pies."  See also the ADS-L archives.

Decatur Review - 7/20/1917
...Rolls lOc each Marshmallow Rolls lOe each BISMARCKS ,15c doz. And Many
Other Bits of.....Doughnuts 12c doz. Cake Doughnuts .15c doz. PIES, all kinds
,15c each Layer Cakes ,..-25c..
Decatur, Illinois Friday, July 20, 1917  481 k
   20 July 1917, DECATUR REVIEW (Decatur, Illinois), pg. 6?, col. 2:
The
National
Bakery
133 North Water Street
(...)
Layer Cakes...
Jelly Rolls...
Marshmallow Rolls...
Bismarcks...15c doz.

BISHOP'S NOSE

   Just above "bismarck" in DARE is "bishop's nose."  It's a "pope's nose" or
"parson's nose."  (See ADS-L archives.)  DARE has 1965-70.  The CASSELL
DICTIONARY OF SLANG has "1960s."
   The article is worth transcribing in full.

Reno Evening Gazette - 4/28/1900
...the rump of a fowl is the "parson's" or "BISHOP'S" NOSE; a bowic knife Is
an "Arkansas..
Reno, Nevada   Saturday, April 28, 1900  663 k
   28 April 1900, RENO EVENING GAZETTE (Reno, Nevada), pg. 2?, col. 2:
_WELSH RABBIT OR RAREBIT._
_Odd Nicknames Used in Various_
   _Climes for Some Common Arti-_
      _cles of Food._
   Here comes again for the 'strenth time that old question about the Welsh
"rabbit" or "rarebit," says the New York Press funny man.  In Paris it is
"rarebit" on the bills of fare, or its equivalent in French, but our late
dictionaries and our astute editors insist that it should be "rabbit."  After half a
day's search I arrive at the conclusion that it was originally "rare-bit," and
that "rabbit" is a modern corruption.  I say the highest authorities agree on
this, but my editor says they don't, and what he says goes, in this paper.
   Certain of our lexicographers insist that "rabbit" as applied to cheese
and toast, etc., is of jocular origin, but I am not sure that the people of
Wales regard cheese thus prepared as their national dish.  It is true that we have
the "Cape Cod turkey," which is a codfish, and numerous other humorously
applied special dishes.  The lamb fry is a "mountain oyster," the calf is an
"Essex lion," the calf's head is "mock turtle," the cured ham is "Cincinnati
chicken," red herrings are "Glasgow magistrates" or "Norfolk capons," the potato is
an "Irish apricot," a "Murphy" or a "Munster plum;" the shrimp is a "Gravesend
sweetmeat," whisky is "wine of the country" or "hair of the dog," the rump of
a fowl is the "pope's," "parson's" or "bishop's nose;" a bowie knife is an
"Arkansas toothpick," a railroad porter is a "baggage smasher," a native of Nova
Scotia is a "blue-nose," temper is "Irish," to walk is to "take shank's
mare," etc.