Death Before Dishonor (1875); Rock/Hard Place (1960); Blacker the Berry (1961)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Dec 29 01:48:49 UTC 2003

   This continues an updating of Gregory TItelman's AMERICAN POPULAR PROVERBS
AND SAYINGS (2000) using Newspaperarchive.com.

BETTER DEATH THAN DISHONOR

   Pg. 23.  Titelman has 1931.

Decatur Daily Review - 3/25/1931
...quashed. tions, "The Godless Girt" "DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR." and Tammany
Plans WOODMEN.....crime wave in which two men were shot to DEATH and another
wounded. The primary.....JJ survey enaction taken on the "just "BEFORE "he" start
of each 0{ the 10i000.....grounds. aboard the Arizona this mornin? BEFORE the
party disembarked for Bloomington..
Decatur, Illinois Wednesday, March 25, 1931  643 k

Ohio Democrat - 4/26/1883
...by compliiining to the monitor. No. DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR. This is nn
extreme example.....full often find this out -a their sorrow as DEATH seizes upon
them. Had they been wise in.....I have kept my promise, Miss said Arkwood
BEFORE she had time to spenk; now, with your.....he marked G. M. D., not the
Gristly Monster DEATH, whlah he so long had dreaded, but..
New Philadelphia, Ohio Thursday, April 26, 1883  1371 k

Reno Evening Gazette - 6/29/1922
...are with us in this great struggle. 'DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR being an
unchanging principle..
Reno, Nevada Thursday, June 29, 1922  599 k

Denton Journal - 3/31/1906
...which read "My load is too heavy. DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR. My benefit in the
I. 0. H.....about 4 o'clock Sunday morning. DEATH was due to paralysis, with
which he was.....well known in this county having practiced BEFORE our court
for more than a quarter of a.....circumstances surrounding Judge Urown's DEATH
were particularly suil, and its..
Denton, Maryland Saturday, March 31, 1906  840 k

Gettysburg Times - 12/5/1929
...in the door and meekly surrendered. "DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR" Tattooed on
his arm he wore.....the legend, "DEATH BEFORE and the namesof "Jack
"Frank.....at 7 p. m. Unknown. Hunter Blamed For DEATH HIGHWAY (Continued from First
Page.....Mrs. Rasmus Saby spoke on "Hospitality" BEFORE the Business and [ndustrial
Girls club..

Gettysburg, Pennsylvania Thursday, December 05, 1929  929 k

Hamilton Guidon - 1/28/1875
...have upheld the deed. It was DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR, and killing which was
no.....and picked up by our devil. feelings by the DEATH cf him Nvho did him
the terrible wrong.....on: but we fea: it will be a long time BEFORE another
editor of that concern goes to.....Now the infamous wretch richly deserved DEATH
; yet we would ratlier that the father..
Hamilton, Ohio Thursday, January 28, 1875  745 k

BETWEEN A ROCK AND A HARD PLACE

   Pg. 25.  Titelman's first citation is 1984.  Now used for "Iraq."

Indiana Evening Gazette - 11/9/1960
...hound dog. he should get himself hunt up BETWEEN A ROCK And A hArd plAce,
there's..
Indiana, Pennsylvania Wednesday, November 09, 1960  575 k

Panola Watchman - 7/7/1960
...is known As .qonM And they kmdA put :elks BETWEEN A ROCK And A hArd plAce
If you dont..
Carthage, Texas Thursday, July 07, 1960  429 k

New York Daily Times - 8/2/1854
...the following Accident there. to drive teAm BETWEEN A ROCK on the kill And
thicliff.....is composed of Pulpit ROCK of slAte; CAsth, ROCK And Egg ROCK of
compAct fiqdspAr. LIN.....elifin, if only to see End where yeA cAn or BETWEEN
the (l mAy b my nnmemns coves And.....Icy end the posed to Icehug And irritA
tmn BETWEEN tile Enghsh And AmericAn mArroe..
New York, New York   Wednesday, August 02, 1854  744 k

Reno Evening Gazette - 9/10/1923
...toppling over. HAycrAft wAs ciuislit BETWEEN A ROCK And the side of the cA
r..
Reno, Nevada Monday, September 10, 1923  700 k

Times Recorder - 7/5/1950
...or definite. Riddle WhAt's the difference BETWEEN A ROCK-pile conx-ict And
A jigsAw.....lArger, broAder And more fArflung conflict BETWEEN the two
worlds Nnhody believes thAt..
Zanesville, Ohio Wednesday, July 05, 1950  718 k

Council Bluffs Nonpareil - 9/3/1951
...with injuries suffered in A collision BETWEEN A ROCK IslAnd DES MOINES IP
The 1951.....the 38t'.i pArAllel, old politicAf boundAry BETWEEN North And
South KoreA. Ftontllne Tour.....Army heAdquArters, OKLAHOMA ROCKET The ROCK IslA
nd's OklAhomA ROCKet, southbound.....wArd bound movement yet to come. FAtA
lities BETWEEN 6 p. m. Fifth HurricAne Churns..
Council Bluffs, Iowa Monday, September 03, 1951  790 k

THE BLACKER THE BERRY, THE SWEETER THE JUICE

   Pg. 29.  Titleman's first citation is 1984.  Titelman says "Berries are
best when they are ripe. ... It is often applied to black women."
   OT:  So I'm in the doctor's office getting my typhoid bills for Ghana, and
out of nowhere he says "It's Africa, so there's no sex."

Stevens Point Daily Journal - 6/10/1965
...and proclaimed, "THE blacker THE berry, THE SWEETER THE JUICE." THE world
heavyweight.....circuit That was THE end of THE lynx and THE start of THE fire
which nearly destroyed.....of THE 1965 civil rights struggle and THE first
stop on THE tour. THE newsmen were.....in THE Illinois Synod. Since THE move
meant THE loss .of about 51 million annually to THE..
Stevens Point, Wisconsin Thursday, June 10, 1965  599 k

Times Recorder - 6/2/1961
...cry out. and. THE blacker THE berry, THE SWEETER THE JUICE.' Even THE
Negro churches.....it is THE hole cards that often count THE most and determine
who wins THE hand. THE.....Lane TEN YEARS AGO THE mercury topped THE 90 degree
THE THEy'll Do It Evervtimc British, THE..
Zanesville, Ohio Friday, June 02, 1961  746 k

SIZE DOESN'T MATTER/COUNT

   Titelman doesn't have this, but while my mind is on the topic and before I
forget, here it is.
   Fred Shapiro once asked about this phrase.  There's not much here in your
family newspaper.

Evening Telegram - 12/30/1918
...village library or i town hall; the SIZE DOESN'T MATTER, but the
preservation of the.....relic does MATTER. today, barely emerging from, the war.....war
souvenirs and study Frencli lansic. No MATTER gmaii B'Teoch home, there is a
taWe..
Elyria, Ohio   Monday, December 30, 1918  882 k

Charleston Daily Mail - 7/13/1937
...up to buying gear for comfort first SIZE DOESN'T MATTER so long as it is
the right..
Charleston, West Virginia   Tuesday, July 13, 1937  618 k
   13 July 1937, CHARLESTON DAILY MAIL (Charleston, West Virginia), pg.9,
col. 7:
   Corns and callouses are less in evidence, not only because chiropodists
are kept busier but because women have learned their foot lore, have become
educated up to buying foot gear for comfort first...sixe doesn't matter so long as
it is the right size.

Zanesville Signal - 6/6/1947
...group; recitations, "A True Rita 'SIZE DOESN'T COUNT." Douglas T i Miss
Miller Bride.....x all ttxre it to it. If tke -my bottle DOESN'T the implr. iott
bulky and hdp dnder..
Zanesville, Ohio   Friday, June 06, 1947  784 k

Newark Advocate - 12/20/1932
...adrift upon Doubtful world -Washington SIZE DOESN'T COUNT. Said rny wife
a.s she tried on..
Newark, Ohio   Tuesday, December 20, 1932  701 k
   20 December 1932, NEWARK ADVOCATE (Newark, Ohio), pg. 4, col. 6:
    _Where Size Doesn't Count._
Said my wife as she tried on her little new hat,
"It cost only 30 plunks, isn't it nice?"
I answered, "Mine's three times the size, dear, of that
And cost merely a fractional part of that price!"

Waukesha Daily Freeman - 5/24/1948
...with the southern coal producers. SIZE DOESN'T COUNT Scooter Driver Is
Fined When..
Waukesha, Wisconsin   Monday, May 24, 1948  740 k

Waterloo Daily Courier - 11/14/1948
...BIG Power When you've got the power, SIZE DOESN'T COUNT. And with Courier
Classified..
Waterloo, Iowa   Sunday, November 14, 1948  944 k

Gazette - 7/31/1912
...and knocked him off a scaffold. SIZE DOESN'T COUNT if you can choose your
own.....were: Restrictions as to the least SIZE of yachts which could safely
be..
Stevens Point, Wisconsin   Wednesday, July 31, 1912  815 k

(To be continued)