The Buck Stops Here (1946); Make a Federal Case (1951)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Dec 29 02:26:53 UTC 2003

THE BUCK STOPS HERE

   This appears to be before President Truman used it.

Statesville Record - 6/15/1946
...Kerr'? in Oklahoma City. It reads: "The BUCK STOPS HERE." Governor Kerr's
secretary.....said that meant when the BUCK was passec a! around until it
reached.....congregation, and he joined tbt church HERE some year? ago. is a
nephew of Rev. S. L.....rela-j Those of all denominations are tives HERE. AROUND
CAPITOL SQUARE cordially invited..
Statesville, North Carolina   Saturday, June 15, 1946  776 k
   15 June 1946, STATESVILLE DAILY RECORD (Statesville, NC), pg. 2, col. 2:
   BUCK--Somebody in North Carolina ought to have a sign like that on
Governor Robert Kerr's desk in Oklahoma City.  It reads: "The Buck Stops Here."
Governor Kerr's secretary said that meant when the buck was passed all around
until it reached the governor he had nowhere to pass it and so he had to handle
the matter.  No state official wants to take the initiative in prosecuting
election law violations.  These financial reports offer a case in point.  The law
requires them to be filed with the secretary of state in statewide or district
campaigns, with the clerk of court in county races, and obligation is imposed
upon these officials to get the reports in.

MAKE A FEDERAL CASE OF IT

   On December 4th, Fred Shapiro posted:

The phrase "make a federal case out of it" is not in OED or HDAS.  The
earliest that has been found for this, I believe, is a 1955 _Time_citation in
Merriam-Webster's files.  I have found the following on ProQuest:

1952 _N.Y. Times_ 6 Apr. X1  But we won't make a Federal case of it; thepoint
is that "Singin' in the Rain" kids an era and a style offilm-production about
as well as it has ever been done.

Fred Shapiro

   Another good sign--the first citation is again from the comics!

Nashua Telegraph - 5/11/1951
...Are jn trouble. They chose to MAKE A FederAl cAse out of it." Improved
modern.....vAcAtioning SECOND (IRTIODRLBflllK MEMBER FEDERAL DEPOSIT INSURANCE
CORPORATION.....ht wAs not IsgAily Who pAys his oosts in A cAse of thAt kind? A
NSW1ER: InsurKncs CompAny..
Nashua, New Hampshire   Friday, May 11, 1951  718 k
   11 May 1951, NASHUA TELEGRAPH (Naashua, New Hampshire), pg. 14, col.6:
   Newspaper columnist says that "no wonder the Red Chinese are in trouble.
They chose to make a federal case out of it."

Edwardsville Intelligencer - 12/12/1951
...So two And two equAls four let's not MAKE A federAl cAse out of "Why is
the boss AlwAys.....his mAil? get promoted I'll wipe out these MAKE IT LOOK LIKE
coweoy ow A PUT COUPLA EARS.....beings 14 LiterAry bltf 15 Terror 17 MAKE 18
Exist 19 It Is In Greece 29 Fruit 11..
Edwardsville, Illinois Wednesday, December 12, 1951  632 k

Sheboygan Press Telegram - 4/28/1951
...SO NOUVE FOUND SOME OLD IN KITS CANT MAKE A FEDERAL. CASE OF MAYBE I CAN
STEVE.' HERE.....TEAMS WILL THIWK I GOT AWFUL SPEEP AM' MAKE ME A OFFER.' SUCH
AWFUL CONTROL. OFFSET..
Sheboygan, Wisconsin Saturday, April 28, 1951  767 k
   28 April 1951, SHEBOYGAN PRESS (Sheboygan, WIsconsin). pg. 14, col. 2
("STEVE ROPER" comic, first panel):
    OKAY VANCE--SO YOU'VE FOUND SOME OLD EAR RINGS IN KIT'S DESK!...YOU CAN'T
MAKE A FEDERAL CASE OUT OF THAT!

Reno Evening Gazette - 12/12/1951
...So two And two equAls four let's not MAKE A federAl cAse out of
it.....THEY'LL DO IT EVERY TIME By Jimmy HAtlo If MAKE fT LOOK LI KB A COWBOY OW A
HORSE.' PUT.....Homlin WHEwT HE'5 REACHING FOB ALTITUDE TO MAKE THAT DBWT IN MY PLA
YMATE'S ANOTHER pA'j..
Reno, Nevada Wednesday, December 12, 1951  735 k

East Liverpool Review - 7/14/1951
...color video, sAy so, but do not 'MAKE A federAl cAse out of it, with hArA
ngue.....is cAse they lAck color, Are Asked not to MAKE Any effort to Acquire
it? We will serve.....70-billion-doilAr budget. Conceding thAt federAl
employees do not get rich At their.....love it. don't get hystericAl, And pleAse MAKE
your endorsement end before midnight. We..
East Liverpool, Ohio Saturday, July 14, 1951  614 k

(To be continued.  So many phrases--so little time!)