Don't judge a book by its cover (1894); Whose bread I eat (1921); Guess (1916)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Dec 29 08:19:48 UTC 2003

DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER

   Gregory Titelman's AMERICAN POPULAR PROVERBS AND SAYINGS (2002) has:

_Don't judge a book by its cover._  Don't judge things by their appearance
only.  First attested in the journal _American Speech_ (1929).

   There you go!  We coined it!  Well, not quite:  There are 27,800 Google
hits for "Don't judge a book by."

Freeborn County Standard - 5/2/1894
...both for Men And Boys. Never JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER, Or suit of Clothes
BY An.....only good butter but good treAtment Also. JUDGE Whytock Appointed
Z. K. MAllery, II.....56 to Twist's 25. This report will mAde to JUDGE Whytock
who will decide upon the.....hAve been cured BY JApAnese Pile Cure. BY Uriggs
Drug Co. The ChicAgo dAily pApers..
Albert Lea, Minnesota Wednesday, May 02, 1894  626 k
  2 May 1894, FREEBORN COUNTY STANDARD (Albert Lea, Minnesota), pg. 5?, col.
5:
Never Judge a Book by its Cover...
A Suit of Clothes by an Ad.

News - 9/22/1914
...Number.. Town of.. You cAn't AlwAys JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER, And you mAy
think 'thAt.....City. At the Hotel StrAtton, wAs Joined BY her dAughter. Mrs.
Win. BAumgArdncr. They.....fertilizing possibilities of the seA Atid ITS
products. An Insight into thwo bllltles.....not only the feAtherA, but the kept
cleAn BY neons of the simple device shown with j..
Frederick, Maryland Tuesday, September 22, 1914  564 k

Freeborn County Standard - 6/6/1894
...Almost their weight in gold. Never JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER, A. Suit of
Clothes Ad. or.....And As solicitor for orders, the district JUDGE directed the
jury to Acquit him, And.....only more thAn tbe smAllest. The form of BOOK is
Admitted BY All to be the best in the.....is very heAvy, the bAck And corners
of COVER Are leAther And the binding is of the..
Albert Lea, Minnesota Wednesday, June 06, 1894  607 k

Democrat And Standard - 4/14/1903
...THE GEORGIA MINSTRELS. You cAnnot JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER nor A minstrel
show BY ITS.....the lAtter being AfterwArds Common PleAs JUDGE. He
supplemented his privAte study with.....kings, lAwmAkers, trusts, bill-collectors, BOOK
Agents, etc., it is not strAnge then.....of MOlersburg And AfterwArds Common
PleAs JUDGE, being Admitted to. the BAr July 6th..
Coshocton, Ohio Tuesday, April 14, 1903  882 k

WHOSE BREAD I EAT, HIS SONG I SING

   Another food proverb.  It pre-dates the Depression.  I have a feeling it's
even earlier on other databases.
   There are 589 Google hits for "whose bread I eat."  The San Francisco
Baking Institute's "Baking Muse" lists it as a "German Proverb."
   Pg. 369.  Titelman's first citation is 1946.

Appleton Post Crescent - 1/25/1926
...Monday. RIch RIchard Says: WHOSE BREAD I EAT, hIs song I sIng'. And those
who.....and the ChIcago sanItary dIstrIct, In WHOSE names Mr. Carlstrom's brI
ef and.....T saId T was goIng out to get somethIng to EAT. FINDS GIRL UNCONSCI
OUS "I was gone about.....to oppose the court. Senator Reed, wIth WHOSE name
Klan agItatIon bad been lInked by..
Appleton, Wisconsin Monday, January 25, 1926  879 k
   25 January 1926, APPLETON POST-CRESCENT, pg. 1, col. 1 box:
Rich
Richard
Says:
WHOSE bread I eat, his song I sing.  And those who are sustained by the A-B-C
Classified Opportunities are singing a song in praise of Opportunity.  Read
them today!

  22 September 1921, AUGUSTA CHRONICLE (GA), pg. 10, col. 4:
   The lawyer that is elected governor or to the legislature does not expect
to remain there always, he knows that none of these officers are going to
furnish permanent means for a livelihood, so while in office serving the people
ostensibly, he is looking out for his big businesses for a job.  "Whose bread I
eat, whose song I sing."

YOUR GUESS IS AS GOOD AS MINE

   On Pg. 394, Titelman says "the saying originated in the United States in
the 1920s."

Decatur Daily Review - 3/17/1930
...huve, In the lASt 25 years. I wonder? YOUR GUESS IS AS GOOD AS mine. But
it surely looks.....women were commenting, AS women do, on how GOOD everything
tASted. The host had sampled.....IS K. and whose encouragement, faith and GOOD
cheer give a slnglnf strength to the.....Cheyenne and took to All (hIS may be
very GOOD and correct wlth the wlld tout folk will..
Decatur, Illinois Monday, March 17, 1930  678 k

Fort Wayne News - 2/5/1916
...and a dynamo T What are you calling "YOUR GUESS IS AS GOOD AS wAS the
halt-absent reply.....I once had the pleASure of introducing YOUR GOOD father to
my bankers in Chicago? It wAS.....have coal." "Yes; there IS coal, of a sort;
GOOD enough for the cement kilns. For power.....with a hack load that I am
carrying to thIS GOOD day; that I will probably go on carrying..
Fort Wayne, Indiana Saturday, February 05, 1916  917 k
   5 February 1916, FORT WAYNE DAILY NEWS (Fort Wayne, Indiana), pg. 11, col.
3:
   "Your guess is as good as mine," was the half-absent reply.

Lancaster Daily Eagle - 12/6/1927
...IS invited to participate. YOUR GUESS IS AS GOOD AS the next one. Get YOUR
GUESS Cards at.....number of thIS watch or making the nearest GUESS to it
will win it On Saturday, Dec.....throws off the cause. S.S.S. IS sold at all GOOD
drug stores in two sizes. The. larger.....I suffered from rheumatISm for a
GOOD many years. At times my joints would..
Lancaster, Ohio Tuesday, December 06, 1927  795 k

Sun Herald - 12/24/1925
...Make a '1026 GUESS for YOURself; YOUR GUESS IS AS GOOD us anyone's
provided YOUR.....and civil aviation development And, for GOOD meASure, there are the
row between the.....In public worship It would seem that any GOOD American,
Irrespective of race end creed.....Almighty God, who hASt given us thIS GOOD
land for our heritage; we humbly beseech..
Lime Springs, Iowa Thursday, December 24, 1925  681 k

Bismarck Tribune - 8/29/1917
...win. be down or up AS the market goes. YOUR GUESS IS AS GOOD a? ours "but
we think it.....out. These ASsets will stand (iarfield in GOOD .stead AS admin
IStratzest to the.....b.old-( j [aj.Cy A. (lar.tield. who juade GOOD lie
eouscuted to try one. its.....the.j clear eyes, ajid expressive moufh j j IS a mind
AS vigorous AS hIS body, j I The..
Bismarck, North Dakota   Wednesday, August 29, 1917  571 k

(To be continued)