Whose bread I eat (1859)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Dec 29 08:33:18 UTC 2003

   Yeah, it's much earlier.  From MAKING OF AMERICA.

Author: Barnard, Henry, 1811-1900.
Title: Pestalozzi and Pestalozzianism : life, educational principles, and
methods, of John Henry Pestalozzi, with biographical sketches of several of his
assistants and disciples / reprinted from the American journal of education ;
ed. by Henry Barnard.
Publication date: 1859.
Collection: Making of America Books
Pg. 85:  "There is no need of any explanation and no harm done.  It is an old
proverb,  Whose bread I eat, his praise I sing," said the bailiff, and
shaking Kriecher by the hand, he said no more upon the subject, but asked the men
whether Arner had been angry.

Title: The Progressionists, Chapter IV-V
Publication Info.: Catholic world. / Volume 15, Issue 90, Sept 1872,
pp.766-783
Collection: Making of America Journal Articles
Pg. 780:  "What the men of money do, is well done, of course, for the proverb
says, 'Whose bread I eat, his song I sing.'"