new (or unfamiliar to me) words from undergraduates

Towse self at TOWSE.COM
Wed Dec 31 17:49:37 UTC 2003

Laurence Horn wrote:

> _egosurf_ 'to try to find references to oneself in search engines',
> e.g. to autogoogle

'egosurf' has been around for a long while. Search engines made it
possible to egosurf for mentions on the Web, but James "Kibo" Parry,
legend has it, used to egosurf newsgroups back when by grep-ing his
newsfeed, in the days before Deja News came on the scene. He'd then
respond to any post that mentioned his nickname.

<http://google.com/groups?selm=5fvp9v%248i%2411%40mh002.infi.net>

First mention of "egosurf" in Googja is 28Mar1995.
<http://google.com/groups?selm=3l74t5%24jij%40newsbf02.news.aol.com>

My first test of any new search engine I come across is to egosurf and
see how many hits I can get on my name.

--
Sal

Ye olde swarm of links: 4K+ links for writers, researchers and the
terminally curious <http://www.internet-resources.com/writers>