pronunciations of Houston

Dan Goodman dsgood at VISI.COM
Sun Feb 2 05:41:04 UTC 2003

This was discussed several years ago.  I wasn't able to find the
discussion here, but did find a post from me to the Dorothyl list:

Date:    Tue, 27 Oct 1998 12:57:24 -0600
From:    Dan Goodman {dsgood at visi.com}
Subject: Re: Houston vs House-ton

The six (if I recall correctly) different pronunciations of "Houston"
in American place-names was discussed on ADS-L (the American Dialect
Society list) a year or so ago.

Each and every one of those pronunciations is "correct" -- they were
named after Houstons whose name was pronounced in those ways.

If I recall correctly, the _original_ pronunciation is "hoose-ton" --
it's a Scottish name.