Canadian bacon (1897)

vida morkunas vidamorkunas at TELUS.NET
Sun Feb 2 06:11:54 UTC 2003

well, if that throws any light on the topic... up here in Vancouver, we have
bacon, and Canadian bacon. Bacon is about 8 - 12 inches long, 1" wide and
about 1/4 of an inch thick and is very heavily marbled.

Canadian bacon, on the other hand, hardly has any visible fat, looks like a
small ham, is usually sliced round, about 1/8" thick and tastes quite
different (like fried cold cuts - perhaps?)

So we have both.  And not only at Safeway (a big American chain that's big
in Western Canada too). And it's called Canadian up here too - even though
the 'regular' kind of bacon (rectangular, thick, marbled) is more popular up
here.

cheers -

Vida.
vidamorkunas at telus.net
-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf
Of Mark A Mandel
Sent: February 1, 2003 9:31 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Canadian bacon (1897)

I had to learn, as a child, that "Canadian bacon" is not "bacon from
Canada", rather as "French toast" is not toast from France. Do these
cites refer to what we now call Canadian bacon, or simply to bacon from
Canada? I see no evidence for the former at all in the first citation,
and barely a suggestion that I can't even articulate in the third
mentioned (second quoted).

-- Mark A. Mandel