Critical Mass and motorcycles

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Sun Feb 2 13:33:38 UTC 2003

In a message dated 02/02/2003 12:18:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
sclements at NEO.RR.COM writes:

> Someone over at the StraightDope posted a weird message about a "critical
>  mass" of motorcycles in Philly last week.  I jovially asked for a
>  description of what a "critical mass" of motorcycles might be.  Another
>  poster cited an article from someone in Calif? and I remembered that I saw
>  about 200 motorcycles go through a traffic light just down the street from
>  me here in Akron in September.  Mentioned in the article was the fact that
>  they were going through a red light.
>
>  So, is there currently some validity to the term "critical mass" as applied
>  to motocycles going through red lights?

None at all.  Haven't you ever driven in a funeral procession?  This is the
proper behavior for a convoy (including funeral processions):  the lead
vehicle stops for a red light, but once the lead vehicle goes through a green
light the entire convoy keeps moving no matter what the light does.

A linguistic note:  the reason headlights are on in a funeral procession is
to give a non-verbal message to other drivers: we're a convoy and we have
right-of-way.

What then is a "critical mass of motorcycles"?  Enough bikes to have a
political impact, e.g. a special meeting of the City Council has to be called
to listen to petitions from the bikers.

            - Jim Landau