Shell Steak (1949) ("New York Strip")

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Feb 2 21:09:37 UTC 2003

As a consumer rather than a lexpert here, I can add that locally (in
New Haven) the supermarkets sell "boneless shell sirloin steaks",
pretty much indistinguishable in quality and price from "boneless top
sirloin".  It's quite a tender cut and often available on sale; I'm
about to cook one up (au poivre) that was purchased for $2.99/lb.  It
does sort of look shell-shaped, whence I assume the name.

larry