Canadian bacon (1897)

Herbert Stahlke hstahlke at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Wed Feb 5 02:06:34 UTC 2003

In SW Ontario, it's also known as "pea-meal bacon".  Is this more widely
used?  I haven't seen "Canadian Bacon" in restaurants around Lake Huron and
Georgian Bay, but I don't get down around Windsor and Toronto much, where
there would be a lot more US visitors.

Herb Stahlke

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf
Of Victoria Neufeldt
Sent: Tuesday, February 04, 2003 8:34 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Canadian bacon (1897)

In Canada it has traditionally been called back bacon, and you can buy
it sliced as well as unsliced.  It is only relatively recently that
you sometimes see it identified as 'Canadian Bacon' in restaurant
menus and so on, presumably for American visitors.  I haven't seen it
labelled as such (i.e. 'Canadian Bacon') in supermarkets, etc.,
although I have to say that I haven't been consciously checking it out
at all.

I seem to remember knowing the term 'back bacon' all my life, but as
we all know, our memories on such things can be faulty.  I was
surprised to discover just now that it's not in the Dictionary of
Canadianisms on Historical Principles (1967).  It is in the Gage
Canadian Dictionary (1983) as a Canadianism, but that dict doesn't
give dates of first cites.  Hmm.  Now I'm intrigued -- I'll just have
to find the time sometime to research this . . .

Victoria

Victoria Neufeldt
727 9th Street East
Saskatoon, Sask.