temptress

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Feb 5 15:07:50 UTC 2003

At 11:33 AM +0100 2/5/03, Jan Ivarsson TransEdit wrote:
>Actually, you can very well become a prince by marrying a queen or a
>princess. See e.g.
>http://www.fororeal.com/enfrdin.htm
>for Prince Henrik of Denmark.
>Or Prince Albert, who married Queen Victoria...
>Or Prince Philip, who married Queen Elizabeth...
>Jan Ivarsson

I knew about the last two, but I thought that was a case where the
guy who marries the queen (or a woman who becomes a queen later)
can't be a king, so they settle for making him a prince, which still
falls short of her level of royalty.  If Henrik married a princess
and became prince, that would certainly refute my claim.  In general,
though, men can't "marry up" to equal royal nomenclatural status
while women can (although, or because, the man is typically the ruler
in such cases, William and Mary notwithstanding).

larry