Antedating of "Lynch"

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu Feb 6 02:06:03 UTC 2003

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Dave Wilton wrote:

> HDAS cites an 1835 quote in an article in American Speech XXXII (1948). HDAS
> doesn't give a more precise dating than the year.

Now that old volumes of American Speech are online, I was readily able to
check that cite.  It turns out to refer to an Oct. 1835 source, the same
month as the source I had noted.  American Periodical Series beats both of
them, however:

1835 _Atkinson's Saturday Evening Post_ 12 Sept. 2  A whale that was
making his way quietly up the Chesapeake bay, was pursued and _Lynched_.

Fred Shapiro