Chipotle (1975)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Feb 8 00:59:07 UTC 2003

At 7:16 PM -0500 2/6/03, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>    OED doesn't have "chipotle."  That's not unexpected, but jeez, is
>OED horrible on food terms.
>    Merriam-Webster has "chipotle" ("a smoked and usually dried
>jalapeno") from only 1988.
>    This is a citation that will be destroyed by the online LOS
>ANGELES TIMES, but this is the earliest from the online full text
>NEW YORK TIMES, where there are 242 hits up to 1999:
>

>    16 July 1975, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 63:
>Albondigas (Mexican meat balls in tomato and chili sauce)
>(...)
>2 or 3 chipotle chilies available in tins (see note)
>(...)
>Note: Chipotle chiles en escabeche have a smoked taste.  They are
>smoked before canning.  They are available in stores that cater to
>Mexican or Mexico-oriented clientele, including Casa Moneo, 210 West
>14th Street.

Ah, that really takes me back.  I remember the old days when I
actually went to Casa Moneo on 14th St. because it was the only place
I knew of to stock up on chipotles and other Mexican delights.  Now
you (or in this case I) can get chipotles en escabeche in suburban
Connecticut supermarkets, just like we used to could in California.

Larry