Milk Shake (1888) (and Kaffe Klatch)

Sam Clements sclements at NEO.RR.COM
Sun Feb 9 20:51:38 UTC 2003

From: <Bapopik at AOL.COM>
>    The revised OED has 1889 for "milk shake"?  This NEW YORK TIMES
citation
> is 1888, from Chicago.  Clearly, the online CHICAGO TRIBUNE and BROOKLYN
> DAILY EAGLE should help here.
>    John Mariani has 1885, but he's probably just using a guesstimate made
by
> the Random House Dictionary.  Merriam-Webster has 1886.  I submitted a
(now
> lost?) citation like this to the old ADS-L archives, I think from VOGUE.
It
> should re-appear when the American Periodicals Series online finishes the
> digital work for all of its periodicals.
>

>    20 June 1888, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 1:
>    In every niche of the Auditorium except the entrances and along
> Congress-street on the south side, lemonade and "milk shake" stands
tempted
> the thirsty, and the thirsty fell in droves.
>

>    From Literature Online, and also Early Canadiana Online:
>

> Fairbanks, Cassie:[from The Log of the Sail of the Sailors' Rest / Miss
> Fairbanks [188-?]]
> The Log of the Sail of the Sailors' Rest.
> Fairbanks, Cassie:
> Old Chebueto. [from The Log of the Sail of the Sailors' Rest / Miss
Fairbanks
> [188-?]]
> Fairbanks, Cassie: Old Chebueto. [from The Log of the Sail of the Sailors'
> Rest / Miss Fairbanks [188-?]]
>

> [Page 8]
>
> 93          Our delights are oft succeeded---
> 94                  By anxious gusts of thoughts,
> 95    But into safest Havens,---
> 96                  Your voyaging will be brought
> 97          If you listen to the wisdom, that
> 98                Counsels the expending---
> 99          On the useful, the appropriate
> 100                Means, that should be unending---
> 101        The charming Mentors taking charge
> 102                Will urge, with low ton'd voice
> 103        The "survival of the fittest" in
> 104                Your philosophic choice.
>
> 105        Then dreamingly artistic---you will
> 106                Gaze with rapt emotion
> 107        On Coleridges "Painted ship upon
> 108                A painted Ocean,"
> 109        Till parch'd with aquarelles unique
> 110                You will be apt to think---
> 111        Of "Water, water everywhere
> 112                But not a drop to drink"---
> 113        But having bought your Phantom Sketch
> 114                You'll rush off, to obtain
> 115        Invigoration, as alone
> 116                A Milk shake can contain:  (THIS
> LINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!--ed.)
> 117        Or, a cup of German Coffee,---
> 118                From a real German Frau,
> 119        Surrounded by blonde peasant Girls
> 120                From Faterland you'll vow---
> 121        If you can spare a moment's grace
> 122                The gay idea to catch---
> 123        You'll find that repartee is hot
> 124                Within the Kaffe Klatch.
>
> [Page 9]
> (...)

Question 1.  Does anyone have a reasoned opinion on whether a "milk shake"
as cited in the 1880's  resembles the 20th century milkshake?

Question 2.  At the end of Barry's second cite, the final line is "...Within
the Kaffe Klatch."  I assume that isn't an antedating of the phrase?  Else,
Barry would have mentioned it?