Drunken Goat (1996)- Vida Blue

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Mon Feb 10 17:22:09 UTC 2003

Larry writes:
>Vida Blue was 70's, not early 60's, although his best season was 1971, his
>rookie (of the year) year with the A's. His name (unlike our Vida's) was
>pronounce to rhyme with Ida, sweet as apple cida'.  He refused his owner's
>bribe to change his name officially to True Blue.  (This was the era of
>Catfish Hunter and
Mudcat Grant.)<

Wasn't this owner Charlie O. Finley (Finlay?) and didn't he also make up
colorful biographical fictions about the players, not to mention
encouraging extravagant grooming styles?  Anything to get
attention....though the players were doing pretty well at that with the
excellence of their field performance, as I remember.
A. Murie