Drunken Goat (1996)- Vida Blue

FRITZ JUENGLING juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US
Mon Feb 10 21:40:41 UTC 2003

Yes, If I remember correctly, he paid each player $300 to grow a mustache. (Can't imagin why they would need an extra $300).  Besides the colorful unis, he also had some games, probably only in spring training, played with colored balls. He also suggested a pinch runner rule (similar to the pinch hitter) and had a donkey as a mascot.  The pinch runner thing came about because he had a really fast guy on his team who couldn't hit or play defense. I think it was some guy named Washington, but am not sure.
fritz

>Yup, Finley it was.  A true character.  The green and gold unis got
>attention too, not to mention the mustaches he had all his players
>wear at one point (to emulate relief pitcher Rollie Fingers, he of
>the great handlebar variety).

larry