Sugar Pie (1900, 1911)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Feb 10 23:26:34 UTC 2003

   I have not yet begun to "treacle tart."  The full text TIMES OF LONDON is available here from only 1915.  Columbia University doesn't have the British and Irish Women's Diaries & Letters database that NYU does, nor the Victorian Women Writers database.  I have TABLE TALK and GOOD HOUSEKEEPING at home, from the 1880s.  But the fact that the Gerritsen Collection (which includes THE COOK from the 1880s) doesn't have "treacle tart" earlier is good for a start.
   The BROOKLYN DAILY EAGLE goes back to 1841 and could also have a "treacle tart" on some cookery piece taken directly from England.  I sent an e-mail last week about my role in the project, but got no response.

   Jesse asked about "sugar pie" before 1912 and 1952.  Again, this is a quick look here.

   13 February 1900, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 8:
   A dozen kinds of sweetmeats, preserved leechee nuts, other Chinese fruits, preserved in sugar, small sugar pies, rice candy salmon colored, and red, blue and green sponge cake were offered to the guests. (...) Then followed ice wong choi, a tasteful custard made of pulverized rice and eggs, snow-white delicate rolls and butter, boned chicken wings, water lily seed tea, half a dozen other varieties, and, finally delicious, fragrant Chinese-made tea,

   9 March 1911, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 6:
   Letters introduced as evidence were of an affectionate tenor.  In one written by Denison to his wife on Nov. 10, 1910 he referred to her as his "Dear Sugar Pie."