Singapore Noodles(1978); Shanghai Noodles (1969); Corned Beef Hash (1884)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Feb 11 16:56:10 UTC 2003

   A few notes before my flight to Singapore...Jim Landau says to use my
Arabic, but I'll try to refrain from using "Algebra!" as a greeting.

SINGAPORE NOODLES--This is way off.  I need the full text Los Angeles Times
right now.  OED has...well, they're working on it.
   4 June 1978, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. XX29:
_Rating Restaurants in Soho's New "China"_
_Singapore Noodles_
(...)  Chuen King Fu...the best Singapore noodles outside Hong Kong.  These
consist of thin rice noodles, lightly curried and mixed with pork, shrimps,
green and red peppers, often beef, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts.  It is
a fine and authentic Chinese-Malaysian preparation.

SHANGHAI NOODLES--Nothing until the incredibly late August 26, 1990, except
for this Albert Goldman piece about Steve Winwood.
   14 December 1969, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. D26:
   Recording with his own band, Traffic, he produced astonishing records,
like "Shanghai Noodle Factory," spotlighting a voice that was hard, keen,
clean and out of its mind.

CORNED BEEF HASH--
   19 June 1884, FOREST AND STREAM (American Periodical Series online), pg.
415:
   Corned beef hash requires little salt for seasoning.

HONKY TONK--
   1 July 1899, NATIONAL POLICE GAZETTE (American Periodical Series), pg. 14:
   "Milt" West, owner of the "Honky Tonk," at Capitol and Wall Streets,
Columbus, O., can be found wherever there is a good event with the gloves.

1950s INDONESIAN MENU--The Los Angeles Public Library has an online menu from
SUDI-MAMPIR of Santa Monica from the 1950s (no written date).  It includes
"Gado-Gado  Indonesian salad" and "Kroepoek ordang  prawn cracker."