oxen / dachshund

Matthew Gordon GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Wed Feb 12 19:50:39 UTC 2003

I agree with Larry's diagnosis. They both have a low back (unrounded)
vowel, which is true for most American dialects. Maybe Bostonians have a
rounded vowel in 'oxen' and an unrounded one in 'dachshund'; is that right?

As for the /ae/, if the commercial were filmed in Michigan or other
places where the Northern Cities Shift operates, you would indeed get
something closer to /ae/ in both words.

I'm not sure what you're thinking about in your comments on the /ay/ and
the Southern Shift. There is no /ay/ in 'oxen' or 'dachshund' - maybe
you're thinking about "Ay, chihuahua!"