spoonerisms

vida morkunas vidamorkunas at TELUS.NET
Thu Feb 13 19:40:46 UTC 2003

from NewsScan today.  The shining wit example is particularly brilliant.

cheers - Vida.

==========

WORTH THINKING ABOUT: SPOONERISMS
      Here's another excerpt from the popular new book, "A Word a Day: A
Romp Through Some of the Most Unusual and Intriguing Words in English," by
Anu Garg and Stuti Garg. Anu and Stuti write this time about "spoonerisms":
      Spoonerism (SPOO-nuh-riz-em),  noun. The transposition of usually
initial sounds of words producing a humorous result.
      Spoonerisms have perhaps been around ever since we humans began
feeling disconcerted, and as a result mismatched the sounds of two words,
but the name for this affliction came to the English language only around a
century ago. William Archibald Spooner (1844-1930), British clergyman and
educator, was undoubtedly the finest practitioner of the art of spoonerism.
And both of his professions gave him ample opportunity to unwittingly show
his specialty.
      Some of the choicest examples from this eponymous man are:
      Addressing a truant student: "You have tasted two whole worms, you
have hissed all my mystery lectures. You will leave by the next town drain."
      Toasting the Queen: "Three cheers for our queer old dean!"
      Scolding a pyromaniac miscreant: "You have been caught fighting a liar
in the quad."
      Officiating a wedding: "It is now kisstomary to cuss the bride."
      Enquiring the secretary of his university official: "Is the bean
dizzy?"
      To another parish in a church: "I believe you're occupewing my pie.
May I sew you to another sheet?"
      Rev. Spooner, the father of spoonerisms, not only gave the English
language a new word, an eponym, but also an artful device for repartee. The
story goes that a member of Parliament cut off another calling him a shining
wit, and then apologized for making a spoonerism.
      Two more:
      Cleaning the Government: One of my favorites, blurted out by the
announcer who had the honor of introducing the first radio address by a
President of the U.S., is "Ladies and gentlemen, it is my very great
pleasure to present the President of the United States, Mr. Hoobert
Heever!" -Katherine E. Hudson, Grass Valley
      Say Cheese: As a dinner was coming to a close I once invited everyone
to "Please Chatter" upon arrival of the Cheese Platter! -Philippe
Gray-Grzeszkiewicz, Sydney, Australia