"slang" and "informal" as dict labels

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Mon Feb 17 15:21:19 UTC 2003

In a message dated 02/17/2003 3:33:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
rkmck at EARTHLINK.NET writes:

> >BTW, most of us who read science fiction prefer the abbreviation
>  >"sf"/"SF". Many of us, though by no means all, dislike or even detest
>  >the expression "sci-fi".
>
>  It's similar to the dislike of Frisco for San Francisco.  But I admit
>  I never understood the detestation for either that or "sci-fi".

The term "sci-fi" (which I understand was coined by Forrest J. Ackerman, a
person of some controversy among SF fans) was applied to, and popularized by,
Hollywood science fiction films.  Since most Hollywood SF, until Star Wars,
was schlock, SF fans acquired very negative connotations for "sci-fi".  Since
the standards for plausibility and scientific literacy in written SF
(particularly in Astounding Science Fiction, the leading SF magazine since
the 1930's) are much higher than Hollywood's standards, fans of written SF
understandably took a poor view of the Hollywood stuff.

So to an SF fan, to hear his beloved written material referred to as "sci-fi"
was an insult.  Unforunately the mainstream media never caught onto the
distinction and labelled written SF as "sci-fi"...

At least this is my understanding.

I have no idea about San Francisco (which is also sometimes called "SF",
isn't it?).

             - Jim Landau