"slang" and "informal" as dict labels [WAS: shirty?]

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Mon Feb 17 17:57:38 UTC 2003

Speaking as a Jersey boy born and bred, "Jersey" is not a shibboleth, or at
least not one that is widely observed. Growing up, we used "Jersey" all the
time to refer to our home and when asked where I come from, to this day my
response is usually a simple "Jersey."

Frisco, on the other hand is a shibboleth. I've lived in the Bay Area for
five years now and I haven't heard "Frisco" once. "SF" is written, but
/ess-eff/ is rarely, if ever, spoken. To refer to the city, one says "the
city" or "San Francisco."