Avionics

Meredith Lowe melowe at LINFIELD.EDU
Tue Feb 18 05:12:35 UTC 2003

Hello Listserve,

I am working on a research project about the Spruce Goose (Howard Hughes
Flying Boat).  I have information from one historian who believes that the
word "avionics" was first used in connection with the Goose but have not
been able to confirm that.  I looked in the OED and it dates 1949 as the
first time "avionics" is used, but it does not give any information as to
what the article was about in which it appeared.  Does anyone have any idea
when and where "avionics" was first used and/or where I can find this
information?

Thank you for your help,

ML