"Follow the heedings"

Herbert Stahlke hstahlke at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Tue Feb 18 17:11:52 UTC 2003

This is not a printed example, but back around 1992 my son and
daughter-in-law were preparing to go out into sub-zero wind chill.  I
suggested they wear hats, and my daughter-in-law replied, "But then I'll
have hat hair."  She was just out of college at the time, so I suspect the
term was current in this Central Indiana center of lexical innovation.

Herb

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf
Of Bethany K. Dumas
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 11:02 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: "Follow the heedings"

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Laurence Horn wrote:

>heedings and warnings".  And another new (to me) word from today's
>Times:  the compound _hat hair_, for the "affliction" caused by
>compressing one's hair under a tight hat during a winter in which
>it's more important to conserve body heat than to look stylish.  (Cf.
>also "hood hair.")

Some of us equine folks here have been talking about <helmet hair> for at
least five years. Helmet hair refers to a haircut such that no one can
tell whether you just removed a riding helmet from your head. It can also
refer to what hair looks like after one's helmet is removed if one does
not have such a haircut.

Bethany