"Follow the heedings"

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Wed Feb 19 01:24:22 UTC 2003

        I first encountered "hat hair" in the Calvin & Hobbes newspaper strip.  I don't remember the year, but C&H ran from 1985 to 1996.  If this 1/20/90 Boston Globe article is any indication, it apparently derives from a Totes television commercial:

        >>If it weren't for television advertising, how would we know how
to identify the latest afflictions and disorders that plague
Americans?

        Hat Hair. Seasonal condition in which woolly hats squash women's
hairdos beyond recognition, causing men to shun them and other
women to whisper behind their backs. Hat Hair can be alleviated by
a Totes brand scarf/snood that, when removed, moves men to leer and
exclaim, "Beautiful hair!"<<

John Baker