Broken Glass dessert; Wine Biscuits; Crocodile Roll

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Feb 19 16:06:50 UTC 2003

   Greetings from Sri Lanka.  This is an "ABC tour"--another Buddha's coming.  I just saw some fire-eating and then the sacred tooth temple.  It's the tooth of the Buddha himself, about 2,500 years old.  After our visit, my guide calmly told us that a suicide bomber had been at the place we'd just visited.

"BROKEN GLASS" DESSERT--Served at our buffet tonight.  The "broken glass" is just jello, but I'll work on this.

WINE BISCUITS--Found at a bread shop in town.  They contain wine?  No, said my guide.  They're served with wine?  No, answered my guide again, who gave no other explanation.

"COW DUNG"--The Sinhalese name for a certain large roll, somewhat resembling a Kaiser, but more resembling its name.

VIYANA ROLL--It means "crocodile," which is what this looks like.

ULUNDU WADE--Looks like a donut, but it has chilli.

PARIPPU WADE--Looks like a cookie, but it has chilli.

SOYA BUN, FISH BUN, FISH CUTLET, FISH & VEGETABLE ROLL, FISH PASTRY, PRAWN PASTRY, CHICKEN BURGER, CHICKEN HOT DOG--All found at this same "Bread Shop."

(A botanical garden and more buddhas tomorrow--ed.)