"slang" and "informal" as dict labels [WAS: shirty?]

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Thu Feb 20 21:49:55 UTC 2003

In a message dated 2/17/03 11:49:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,
pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU writes:

> "Jersey" for New Jersey, which is used by New Yorkers but not by people who
>  live in New Jersey.

Counterexamples:

"South Jersey" ("SJ" only in newspaper headlines) is the common term for that
part of New Jersey south of approximately Trenton.  "Southern New Jersey" is
never used.

"Jersey" was the nickname for the Standard Oil Company of New Jersey before
it changed its name to "Exxon".

"Jersey Devil" (never "New Jersey Devil") is the local legend around here.
He is not a Mephistoles but more of a mischief-maker said to haunt the local
Pinelands.  The 177th Fighter Squadron based at the airport where I work is
the "Jersey Devils".  The Jersey Devil legend is documented from at least the
early 19th Century and may have originated as an actual person of the 18th
Century (if so, his name was probably "Leeds").  The hockey team "New Jersey
Devils" came long after the Jersey Devil legend and I don't know if there is
any connection.

        - James A. Landau
          systems engineer
          FAA Technical Center (ACB-510/BCI)
          Atlantic City Int'l Airport NJ 08405 USA