"slang" and "informal" as dict labels [WAS: shirty?]

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Thu Feb 20 22:33:07 UTC 2003

James A. Landau said:

>"Jersey Devil" (never "New Jersey Devil") is the local legend around here.
>He is not a Mephistoles but more of a mischief-maker said to haunt the local
>Pinelands.  The 177th Fighter Squadron based at the airport where I work is
>the "Jersey Devils".  The Jersey Devil legend is documented from at least the
>early 19th Century and may have originated as an actual person of the 18th
>Century (if so, his name was probably "Leeds").  The hockey team "New Jersey
>Devils" came long after the Jersey Devil legend and I don't know if there is
>any connection.

When the New Jersey Devils NHL team moved to New Jersey from points
midwestern (Kansas City, via Denver), they changed the name
specifically to evoke the local legend. The official team page gives
the chronology and links to a video of the then-president of the team
announcing the new name. I didn't bother to watch the video though.
Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963