"slang" and "informal" as dict labels [WAS: shirty?]

Mike Salovesh salovex at WPO.CSO.NIU.EDU
Sat Feb 22 23:52:14 UTC 2003

The Princes of Serendip just pushed me into another unexpected discovery.

I can deliver no expert testimony on what the inhabitants of Philadelphia
think of the label of "Philly" for their brother-loving home.

For reasons having nothing to do with ADS-L, however, I just visited the
Web site of the Philadelphia Enquirer.  Their home page URL is

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/

It's not unreasonable to assume that people at the Enquirer might have some
sensitivity to the connotations of words -- particularly a word that they
have chosen as their own address.  Maybe calling the place "Philly" once
marked the speech of outsiders, but it sure doesn't seem that way now.

--  mike salovesh     <m-salovesh-9 at alumni.uchicago.edu>     PEACE !!!