Further Antedating of "Skyscraper"

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun Feb 23 21:07:18 UTC 2003

I previously antedated the modern sense of the word "skyscraper" from Dec.
1888 (OED) to June 1888.  Here's an earlier one:

1884 _Brooklyn Eagle_ 8 June 3  It is probable that we will have no more
sky scrapers among the apartment houses of New York.  The law has decided
that buildings shall not be erected to a height above 73 feet.

Fred Shapiro