Google trademark concerns

Paul McFedries mailinglists at LOGOPHILIA.COM
Tue Feb 25 03:28:22 UTC 2003

My Word Spy site includes an entry for "google" as a verb:

http://www.wordspy.com/words/google.asp

Earlier this evening I received the following note from a Google lawyer:

==============================
Dear Mr. McFedries:

I am trademark counsel for Google.  I have recently become aware of a
definition of "google" on your website, www.wordspy.com.   This definition
implies that "google" is a verb synonymous with "search."  Please note that
Google is a trademark of Google Technology Inc.   Our brand is very
important to us, and as I'm sure you'll understand, we want to make sure
that when people use "Google," they are referring to the services our
company provides and not to Internet searching in general.  I attach a copy
of a short, informative piece regarding the proper use of "Google" for your
reference.

We ask that you help us to protect our brand by deleting the definition of
"google" found at wordspy.com or revising it to take into account the
trademark status of Google.
==============================

I understand what's involved in trademark protection, but "google" is an
important new verb, so I certainly don't want to delete it from the site. I
also don't want any legal hassles. Is there a response I can send to this
lawyer that will allow me to keep this entry? What if I just acknowledge
that Google(tm) is a trademark of Google Technologies Inc.? Would that be
good enough?

When is a word deemed to have become generic? Search Lexis-Nexis for
"googled or googling or (google w/7 verb)" and you'll get nearly 400
citations. Surely this cat's out of the trademark bag.

Paul

P.S. I expect the ADS will soon receive a similar letter for selecting the
verb "google" as "Most useful" and runner-up for WOTY, and for having the
temerity to post this on the ADS Web site.