team names & "-cat"

Catherine Aman caman at AMLAW.COM
Tue Feb 25 16:19:56 UTC 2003

Did the "cat" moniker (and "jive cat" etc) come out of the age of bop?

Likewise, seems to me that age of dot-coms spawned surprising number of
-fish monikers: babblefish (or was it babelfish?), razorfish, etc (also: red
herring, phish).

IMO, "cat" connotes historical moment of self-perceived vitality & cool;
"fish" on other hand connotes otherworldliness and (perhaps)
digitally-induced alienation.

Of course all those "-fish" monikers might also have arisen from sheer
desperation. I wrote an article on KMPG Consulting's decision to rename
itself BearingPoint.

In reporting that learned how extraordinarily difficult it is for big corps
to find names that aren't already copyrighted in U.S. and/or somewhere else
in world where they have offices/do business.

It's just this "the decent names are all taken!" desperation that drove
PricewaterhouseCoopers Consulting to dub itself Monday, of all things.

Anyone who missed the fun that Brit comedians had at expense of PwC should
check out:

http://www.introducingmonday.co.uk/

It's truly hilarious.

Catherine Aman