Team color names [WAS: Card sharp versus card shark]

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Tue Feb 25 22:26:48 UTC 2003

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, James A. Landau wrote:

#In Washington DC the football team of the Sidwell Friends School is called
#(unofficially, I believe) "The Fighting Quakers".

Also, I think, Earlham College (small liberal arts college, Richmond,
Indiana, founded by Quakers). And something similar for Univ. of
Pennsylvania, which is in Philadelphia.

#One of the University of California campi (I think Santa Cruz) uses the team
#name "Banana Slugs".  This fits in with the tradition (am I correct?) that
#all UC teams must have names beginning with the letter "B", e.g. Bears,
#Bruins, Badgers.

That really is the mascot at UC Santa Claus. They're incredibly cute, or
disgusting, creatures, something like 10" long I think, and about the
color and general shape of a ripe banana.

-- Mark A. Mandel