Hippies

Kim & Rima McKinzey rkmck at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Feb 27 08:01:46 UTC 2003

An interesting thread, but I wonder how many have heard/used it the
way I first heard it.  My family moved to Forest Hills (Queen, NY)
and I entered Forest Hills High School as a junior.  The term Forest
Hills Hippies was extensively used, pejoritively, to refer to those
rich, shallow, fashion-oriented denizens of that neighborhood.  When
later I moved to the SF Bay Area, I got a kick out of the same term
being used for defining the complete opposite in terms of values.

Now, I think the term has gotten pejoritive again by being used by
those who defined the 60's hippies as lazy, (wasted?) wastrels, not
participating in "society."  And also to refer to those who, it would
seem, have never left the 60s in terms of dress, et al.

Rima