downloading, in the chair lift sense

Philip Trauring philip at CS.BRANDEIS.EDU
Thu Jan 2 02:15:20 UTC 2003

Today I saw a use of the word 'downloading' I had never before seen.
I was skiing at Waterville Valley in NH and after the usual sign that
tells you when to 'unload' i.e. get off the chair lift at the top,
there was another sign telling people that there was 'No Downloading'
allowed. Clearly the intention is to say that you're not allowed to
get on the chair lift at the top to take it down the mountain.

The only definition I've been able to find for downloading, is the
computer sense. Is this sense in any dictionary? I still haven't been
able to track down a reasonably priced OED, so I can't check the OED.

Philip Trauring

p.s. Someone from the list did contact me previously about a compact
edition of the OED, but my e-mail got corrupted and I lost the e-mail
before I could respond. If that person reads this, please get back in
touch.