Multilingual Rhyming Slang

Philip Trauring philip at CS.BRANDEIS.EDU
Thu Jan 2 02:41:11 UTC 2003

I'm curious if anything has been written on multilingual rhyming slang.

Sure, we've all heard of Cockney Rhyming Slang, but clearly other
rhyming slangs exist. There must be many examples of phrases being
spoken because they rhyme with phrases in other languages - thus
multilingual rhyming slang.

I would imagine there were many such phrases introduced in America by
immigrants in the past century. One which jumps to mind is 'Cashmere
and Togas' - which sounds like 'Kish mir in Tuchis' - Yiddish slang
which parallels directly with the English phrase "Kiss my &%$".

Anyone know of other similar phrases from other languages?

Philip Trauring