yannigan bag (lumberjack term): Is it actually attested anywhere in context?

Michael Quinion TheEditor at WORLDWIDEWORDS.ORG
Thu Jan 2 16:23:15 UTC 2003

I'm not at all sure whether it helps matters at all, but I found
this in "The Adventures and Letters of Richard Harding Davis",
which was published in 1917, but which contains the following
comments in a letter dated from Tokyo on 22nd May 1904:

  "Yesterday we all went to Yokohama. There are four wild
  American boys here just out of Harvard who started the
  cry of "Ping Yang" for the "Ping Yannigans" they being
  the "Yannigans." They help to make things very lively
  and are affectionately regarded by all classes."

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words