"Windy City" myth in Chicago Tribune (12-24-02)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jan 4 15:54:27 UTC 2003

  Greetings from Mombasa, Kenya.  I have four days in Zanzibar before I head back to NYC next week.
  A quick check of www.chicagotribune.com shows that the NY Sun editor Charles A. Dana "Windy City" myth is there AGAIN.  I have told the New York Sun to defend Dana several times.  I'm sending this to them again.
  Is there any reason why this still continues?  Maybe someone out there can write a better e-mail to the Chicago Tribune ombudsman than I can?

Barry Popik
(This is being sent to the American Dialect Society list and the NEW YORK SUN.  I have traced "Windy City" to the CINCINNATI ENQUIRER of January 1883.  "Windy City," again, was neither coined nor popularized by New York Sun editor Charles A. Dana and his statements about the 1893 fair.)

WEATHER TERM
Chicago Tribune; Chicago, Ill.; Dec 24, 2002;

Words in Document: 35

Available Formats:
     Buy Full Text

Abstract:
Windy City: First used in 1893 when New York Sun editor Charles Dana, tired...

Click to Purchase Complete Document:
     Buy Full Text
Copyright © 2003 The Chicago Tribune