Geographical euphemisms?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Jan 4 17:36:10 UTC 2003

>         Actually, a Dutch auction is a descending-price auction,
>with several variations in practice.  It derives from the auction
>system used in the Netherlands to auction tulips.  It is believed to
>produce higher prices than traditional ascending-price auctions, at
>least in some contexts.
>
>John Baker

Thanks for the correction.  My entry was part of a group of
anti-Dutch slurs dating to the Herring Wars from the Victorian era
Farmer & Henley _Slang and its Analogues_.  I wonder if they got it
wrong, if there always were two different senses/uses of "Dutch
auction", or if the sense has changed.  Anyone know?

Larry