"axe" for "ask"

Mon Jan 6 13:59:13 UTC 2003

I hear the "asked" to "axed" switch occasionally here
in Utah.  No real demographic that I can identify.
The man I heard use it yesterday uses inventive
sentence structures and non-standard phrases; he uses
a lot of similes and metaphors.  He exaggerates
pronunciation, especially syllable breaks, for effect.
 However, his use of "axed" seems to be part of his
natural speech, not an affectation.  He was born and
raised here in the SLC area.

=====