California drivers

AAllan at AOL.COM AAllan at AOL.COM
Mon Jan 6 18:35:42 UTC 2003

According to Wendalyn Nichols:
>Those of us who grew up in the Northwest are familiar with the "California
>driver"--a reckless speed demon who disregards traffic rules and never
>comes to a complete stop at a controlled intersection.

That's interesting, because as one who lived in Southern California a while
ago, and who spent four days there two weeks ago, I have always been
impressed at the politeness of California drivers. The freeways in the L.A.
area are packed, but most drivers don't tailgate, few drivers weave in and
out of lanes, they enter and exit easily, and drivers seem calm about
slowdowns. The few exceptions were noticeable. I compare them with the more
aggressive and hazardous drivers of Chicago, not to mention the cab drivers
of Manhattan.

Perhaps drivers are really laid back in the Northwest . . . though I have
heard of "ferry rage."

And of course truth is not a necessary condition for a stereotype. - Allan
Metcalf