Words of the Year announcement

AAllan at AOL.COM AAllan at AOL.COM
Mon Jan 6 19:24:59 UTC 2003

Clearly, as Ron points out, the paragraph of the announcement regarding "Most
Inspirational" needs improved. Formerly:

<<One candidate was proposed for the special category of Most Inspirational:
President Bush's coinage "embetterment," as in "the embetterment of mankind."
By a vote of 45 to 12, the society decided against this category and
candidate. A category of Bushisms was suggested for future years.>>

How about this:

<<In the previous year, the special category Most Inspirational had been
added to incorporate Todd Beamer's "Let's roll!" attacking the hijackers of
United Flight 93 on September 11, 2001. For 2002, President Bush's
"embetterment" as in "the embetterment of mankind" was proposed as justifying
another Most Inspirational, but it was rejected 45 votes to 12. Another
candidate for Most Inspirational was proposed, "grid butt," the runner-up in
the Most Outrageous category, but the chair, who favored "embetterment,"
arbitrarily ruled it out of order.>>

I don't name names here, following the pattern for the rest of the
announcement, but if naming the responsible parties seems important, I will
happily do so.

- Allan Metcalf