WOTY on CNN

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jan 7 15:16:34 UTC 2003

   WOTY closed the segment of CNN this morning.  CNN did a cutesy thing and proprosed words they'd rather NOT see in 2003:

BAGHDADDY
IRAQABOO
KORHEA
PYONGYANXIETY
REMILITARIZED ZONE
WEAPONS OF MASS DECEPTION

   And one they'd like to see:

RAELITY

   I didn't see this on the CNN web site just now, but look for it in a day or two.
   IMHO, WOTY is a bit of whimsy, biased by a certain handful people who submit the words, by what happens late in the year, and, obviously, by the people who attend the meeting. I saw "weapons" as clearly better than "weapons of mass destruction."  I don't know the procedures, but "weapons" (which would include "weapons inspection" and "biological weapons" as well as "weapons of mass destruction") received ZERO votes?  And in a year marked by tragic "homicide bombings" or "suicide bombings," our list instead mentions "grid butt"?
   I'm happy that journalists are interested in this bit of fluff.  But I can't understand when the same journalists are approached by the work of a member such as me, and they don't even respond.
   Ah, such is life.  I leave it for others to respond to those eager journalists.