California drivers

Tue Jan 7 15:21:00 UTC 2003

I remember when I moved down there and commented on a California stop
(one where there is only a pause at a stop sign) and was told they call
them Hollywood stops in California.

There's no doubt in my mind about the difference in driving in
California from Seattle, though. Both my partner and I experienced shock
moving down to San Francisco and then relaxed a few years later when we
moved back.

Things happen much more quickly so you really have to be on your toes in
California when driving. I generally felt safer in California, though,
because of the increased alertness that people seem to drive with.

Benjamin Barrett
Bringing tiramisu and mont blanc to Seattle

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of AAllan at AOL.COM
Sent: Monday, 06 January, 2003 10:36
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: California drivers

According to Wendalyn Nichols:
>Those of us who grew up in the Northwest are familiar with the
>"California driver"--a reckless speed demon who disregards traffic
>rules and never comes to a complete stop at a controlled intersection.

That's interesting, because as one who lived in Southern California a
while ago, and who spent four days there two weeks ago, I have always
been impressed at the politeness of California drivers. The freeways in
the L.A. area are packed, but most drivers don't tailgate, few drivers
weave in and out of lanes, they enter and exit easily, and drivers seem
calm about slowdowns. The few exceptions were noticeable. I compare them
with the more aggressive and hazardous drivers of Chicago, not to
mention the cab drivers of Manhattan.

Perhaps drivers are really laid back in the Northwest . . . though I
have heard of "ferry rage."

And of course truth is not a necessary condition for a stereotype. -
Allan Metcalf