grammatically speaking...

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Tue Jan 7 18:13:45 UTC 2003

Could the "explain me what you mean" construction be a calque on "explique-moi..."?
Maybe it is grammatically incorrect, at least within this context; on
the other hand, personal pronouns are sometimes used as datives
in English, as in the expressions, "send me an e-mail," "drop me a
line," "write me when you get back," etc.  I guess those analogous
examples led me to think of the syntactic structure of sentence #1
as theoretically possible, or at least not wholly unprecedented,
though in practice never used by native English speakers with this
particular verb.

Joanne