Question on word from Western Virginia

GSCole gscole at ARK.SHIP.EDU
Thu Jan 9 13:23:26 UTC 2003

Biddy/biddie was also used in Delaware, both in Delmar, in the southern
part of the state, and in Christiana, in the north, in the 1950s and
1960s, by the farmers whom I knew.  I'm not sure which spelling was in
the mind of the speaker.

'Little biddy' could refer to a small hen, especially a bantam hen; and
little biddies could refer to a clutch of newly hatched chicks.

Delaware, The Blue Hen State, had the first farms that raised chickens
as a profit-making venture, rather than as merely a source of egg money.

George Cole
Shippensburg University