grammatically speaking...

Joanne M. Despres jdespres at MERRIAM-WEBSTER.COM
Fri Jan 10 13:48:28 UTC 2003

"Donate me this" does sound better to me, but I'm imagining it
delivered in a self-consciously playful way, somewhat along the
lines of the Elizabethan construction "X me no Xs" (e.g., "king me
no kings, grief me no griefs," etc.).  I guess the effect of the verbal
play I'm imagining turns on the clever economy of the apparent
archaism (to which the brevity of the direct object contributes).  If
the sentence were delivered without playful intent, though, it
probably wouldn't sound any better to me than "donate me this
lamp."

Joanne