Tinga Tinga painting; Merekani cloth; Me Serengeti

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Jan 10 15:51:55 UTC 2003

   Greetings from Dar es Salaam.  We've all been impressed with this city...There is a memorial in the national museum to the U.S. embassy bombing.  The new U.S. building is a gigantic structure.
   I have a 12:30 a.m. flight to Amsterdam.  It's about ten hours, and I'll arrive about 8 a.m.  Then I have six hours until my next flight to NYC.

TINGA TINGA PAINTING--This style of painting is seen all over.  I'm typing this from the place where it all started, about 35 years ago.  OED?

MEREKANI UNBLEACHED CLOTH--OED?  I read yesterday that "Merekani" meant "American."

TAARAB DANCING--Several signs for this were seen.  OED?

KANGA & KIKOYI & KITENGE & KANZU--Clothing words I'll work on when I get back.  From the museum display:  "Kanzu is a common dress worn by the coastal people."

MGONO--OED?  Also from the museum here:  "A mgono is a kind of fish trap used by small fishermen in Tanzania for catching fish in shallow rivers, swamps and lakes."

GOAT DUNG MAASAI PROVERB--Sorry, this one didn't have an explanation.

SERENGETI BEER BILLBOARD AD:
Me Serengeti
and lots of fun.  ("Me" and not "my"?--ed.)